Our Maya Workshop has been developed by an archaeologist who has visited the historic Maya sites. They are incredibly knowledgeable about the intricacies of Maya culture and life.
We provide a full day’s worth of activities for up to 3 classes.
- Introduction – The children will listen to an informative presentation about the Maya and be told about the fun activities that they will be taking part in later in the day.
- Archaeology Investigation – The children will learn how to be archaeologists, from Penny herself! She will give expert instructions on how to carefully unearth ancient artefacts and examine their origins.
- Maya Pottery Making – The children will create their own Maya pottery out of clay.
- Maya Maths – The children will be introduced to the strange symbols that make up the Maya numbering system. Can they work out which number each symbol represents in order to crack the puzzle?
- Maya Dance – All of the children will come together, usually at the end of the workshop, to watch and then recreate a traditional Maya dance.
- Final Review – The final session of the day looks at what happened after the majority of the civilisation collapsed. What was their legacy?
We developed this workshop after seeing what else was out there and we ensured that our workshop was by far the best Maya workshop available! All resources are provided so schools hardly have to lift a finger!
“A big thank you for the Maya session delivered to our school today. From the beginning, all children were engaged in their learning. Penny shared lots of artefacts and pictures with the children, answering questions as she went along. The activities that the children completed during the day were well planned for and challenged the children. I would highly recommend this session to any school studying the Maya Civilisation.’
You may also be interested in
These Historic Workshops