Key to… Britain’s settlement by Anglo-Saxons and Scots
Developed by the history specialist Stuart Tiffany (Mr. T Does History) to provide this primary KS2 history Key to the National Curriculum resource. This unit encourages children to investigate and comprehend Britain’s settlement by the Anglo-Saxons and Scots.
Following the National Curriculum, this module will help children to understand historical concepts such as continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity, difference and significance, and use them to make connections, draw contrasts, analyse trends, frame historically valid questions and create their own structured accounts, including written narratives and analyses.
Your children will learn about…
- The impact of the arrival of the Angles, Saxons and Jutes
- The decline in the Roman Empire and the arrival of the groups after the withdrawal of the Roman legions
- The history of these islands as a coherent, chronological narrative from the earliest times to the present day
- The conversion to Christianity and the significant sites across the country
- The link between the Saxon and Viking periods.
And will love the engaging worksheets and activities investigating…
- How life was changing in Britain following the arrival of the Anglo-Saxons and Scots
- Anglo-Saxon place names and key vocabulary associated with these times
- Saxon social classes and the differing roles the people had
- Evidence from the three famous Anglo-Saxon archaeological excavations; Sutton Hoo, the Staffordshire Hoard and West Stow.
- Secondary sources such as the poem “The Ruin” which describes a city after the Romans had left
- The Viking raid on Lindisfarne.
Which, in turn, will help them to…..
- Sequence periods of history and use terms such as duration, interval and concurrence
- Begin to us the correct vocabulary associated with this period of history
- Make comparisons between periods of history
- Draw conclusions using evidence and results of the discussion
- Identify the role of religion in the daily life of the people
These are just a few examples of Britain’s settlement by Anglo-Saxons and Scots key unlocks!
Purchase today to get access to the planning leaflet, worksheets, video links and suggested activities and be ready to deliver engaging KS2 primary history to your children today!